I saw a meme the other day that couldn’t be any more accurate. Motherhood: a constant battle between going to bed early so you actually get enough sleep, or staying up late because it’s just so peaceful. Isn’t that the truth? I know I should choose the latter (and I do occasionally), but often find myself staying up late way past my own bedtime. Wether it’s bing watching Netflix or finally sitting down to read a few chapters of that book that’s been sitting bedside for months, both are enticing and often win over shut eye. Anyone else? From sitcoms to page turners, this Momma gets hooked and before I know it, my window of ‘peace’ is not much a window, but an entire night’s slumber! All said, if you’ve been following me across all social media platforms, you’ve seen my poll asking for some new Netflix shows and best reads. I am always interested in what others are reading and taking recommendations to list on queue. For today’s post, I am sharing a few of my top Netflix favorites, and reads that I am currently loving. I’ve also compiled all your recommendations into one easy, resourceful post! Be sure to bookmark this post for all those evenings you’ve chosen the ‘peace’ or when you’re searching for your next escape!
- The Crown: We just finished watching season 2 of this historical drama. It follows the political rivalries and romance of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign and the events that shaped the second half of the 20th century. If you love series that are based off real life events, this is so good! Season 3 starts in October.
- House of Cards: I’ll say I am not one for political drama, tho Kevin Spacey made the show interesting. If you can push aside the truth to his real life character, he makes the show. The story line is very diversified, yet centered around the corruption of Capitol Hill.
- Orange is the New Black: The series is funny, bold and it reflects women’s prison life. Every single actress in this show delivers a fantastic performance. Sadly, this series ended after season 7, but that’s 7 seasons of binging you’ve in line. Definitely worth the look.
- Scandal: Not sure about you – but my husband and I watch all these shows together. I laugh typing out this little snippet, because this is the show I cheated and watched without him. It’s just too good and suspenseful, I couldn’t wait! He’s still mad about it. Ha! Another American political series drama revolving around the life and work of a professional crisis manager and her dysfunctional staff. A little suspense, romance, and a whole lot of drama!
Below is a list of your Netflix recommendations – with the most popular ones listed first! Workin’ Moms, Schitts Creek, and the rewatch of Gossip Girl are what’s on my queue. I will also keep this post updated when I get new suggestions!
- The Good Place
- The Office
- Workin’ Moms
- One Tree Hill
- Stranger Things
- Dead to Me
- Van Helsing
- Grace and Frankie
- Queer Eye
- Mind Hunters
- Parks and Recreation
- Schitts Creek
- The Blacklist
- In the Dark
- Gilmore Girls
- Gossip Girl
- Blue Bloods
- Royal Pains
- The Kissing Booth
- Girl Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis: I’ve read each chapter twice. So so good.
- Hands Free Mama by Rachel Macy Stafford: Received this as a gift and it’s such an uplifting and encouraging read for any Moms who struggle life’s balance.
- The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar: Had to pick this up..because well, name’s on the cover. But so far, so good!
- My Upmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers: Has always been my favorite morning devotional. One to make you stop and ponder and really take a deep look at your faith.
- The Nightinggale by Kristin Hannah: I am currently three chapters in and loving it!
Your top suggestions (I’ve also compiled all of these in an Amazon Idea list, here):
- Girl on the train by Paula Hawkins
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- Verity by Colleen Hoover
- Beach House series by Mary Alice Monroe
- Woman in the Window by A.J Finn
- In a dark, dark wood by Ruth Ware
- Then she was Gone by Lisa Jewell
- Will Trent series by Karin Slaughter
- The Wife between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen
- Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine
- Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- Van Helsing by Kevin Ryan
- Top suggested authors: Elin Hilderbrand, Debbie Macomber, Phillipa Gregory
As mentioned, I’ll continue to add once new suggestions come in! If you have any others, leave me a comment or send me a message! As always, thanks for stopping by!
SHOP THE POST